Objects of the Foundation
The Karel Appel Foundation is a not-for-profit organization which was formed in Amsterdam on 19 May 1999. The Foundation’s registration number with the Chamber of Commerce is 333.069.26 and its tax registration number is 8083.86.372.
The Karel Appel Foundation was recognized as a Public Benefit Institution and awarded ANBI status on 1 January 2008.
The objects of the Foundation, as defined in its Constitution, are to promote public awareness and knowledge of the artworks by Karel Appel, and to perform any other acts relating or potentially conducive to this in the broadest sense.
The members of the Foundation’s Board are:
- G. te Spenke (treasurer)
- H.R. de Visser (president)
- G. Wimmer (secretary)
- P.J. Storsve
- R.B. Zandvliet
The Foundation’s remuneration policy is in line with market practice and ensures that staff salaries conform to the salary levels that are customary in the museum sector.
The members of the Foundation’s Board receive no remuneration.
- Maintaining and developing contacts with national and international museums, and scholars in relation to twentieth-century art
- Updating the archives in order to facilitate research on the oeuvre of Karel Appel as well as on the historical context within which his artistic career has unfolded
- Supervising restorations of artworks
- Research for the online catalogue raisonné of the artist’s work
Summary of activities
In 2022 the Foundation undertook the following activities, in accordance with the provisions in its Constitution:
- It maintained contacts with museums, galleries, auction houses and academics where appropriate
- It assisted and cooperated in museum exhibitions at home and abroad
- It worked on the digitization of visual material from the Karel Appel Archives with the aim of preserving and providing easier access to the material
1071 DE Amsterdam